On the Strip With A Vending Machine Prank






Famous YouTuber seeks cheap vending machine.

In front of my friends’ apartment, there is a vending machine. Every time I pass it, I always think of how freaky it would be to have someone hidden inside it. I always wanted to do a prank video about it but only if I could find a vending machine to use. I had no idea where to look for a used vending machine but low and behold the Internet had the answer.

Moving the vending machine took some coordination.

I woke up one day and said to myself, “I am going to look for a vending machine.” I found a place online that was selling it for 250 bucks. I drove out there, bought it and brought it back to my place. On the way back from the purchase, my friend P.J., who was in the Pick My Nose Prank, called me to let me know he was going to Las Vegas the next day. He thought it would be a great idea to film the vending machine prank on the strip but two things had to happen in the next few hours. I had to clean out the inside of the machine and find a truck to transport it the six hour drive to Vegas.

I posted a comment on Facebook wondering if any of my friends would like to lend their truck out for the weekend and I began cleaning the machine.  It took my friends and I until one in the morning to finish cleaning the inside. A friend of mine responded to my post and let me borrow his truck. We were ready to drive to Vegas.

A Russian vending machine.

A few months ago I attended Playlist Live, a convention for YouTubers, where I met the Crazy Russian Hacker. I had seen his videos and he had seen mine. We always talked about possibly collaborating sometime in the future. He let me know a few weeks ago that he was going to be sightseeing through the United States and he was going to be in Utah in the upcoming week. Well it turns out that this particular weekend he happened to be in Vegas, so he met up with us there and helped us with the shoot.

Only in Vegas can you high-five an alien.

My friend P.J. goes to Vegas about every other week so he was really familiar with the strip. He found us a great spot to place the vending machine but unfortunately we were asked to leave after only getting a few shots.  We spent the next hour and a half looking for another great spot to film. We finally found one and it turns out it was directly across the street from the first filming location. 

I was a little more worried about this shoot because we didn’t have extra days to come back and film. We were only going to be in Vegas for one day.  We had to get it right. It all went smoothly. Thanks to Crazy Russian Hacker’s Go Pro, we were able to get some great shots of people’s reactions. I was so surprised people didn’t notice the GoPro on the top right corner of the machine. Apparently people never look up.

Steven, it’s Stuart. You all right in there?

I only ran into two problems with this particular video. The first problem was keeping my brother Steven from over heating inside the machine. We tried putting ice in the box with him but it just turned to hot water and made it even worse for him. But Steven was a pro and stuck through it.  In the second location there was a lot more shade, which made it a lot easier for my brother and we were able to get some great reactions.

My brother and I getting ready for the shoot.

The second problem was in postproduction. This was my first out-of-state video. In Utah you rarely have to worry about language or nudity but in Vegas it is a whole different story. Since I want my videos to be watched by all age groups, I had to do a lot of editing to cut out swearing and certain billboards that would pass by on the street.  With Crazy Russian Hacker’s GoPro, I was able to change between camera angles to edit out unnecessary language and billboards.

What would you do?

I would love to do another vending machine prank since I own one now. If you have any ideas on possible pranks with a vending machine please feel free to leave them in the comments below.  If you have any other comments or questions, comment below as well.

Thanks for watching.

Stuart