Magic, Sharpies & Kissing



"Can I show you a magic trick?"

Over a month ago, a friend of mine Matt Hogan from Global Soup invited me to come to a conference called 'Playlist Live.' Playlist Live is a three-day event where YouTubers can interact with fellow YouTubers and fans. The first day is a business day where famous YouTubers sit on a panel and answer questions. The last two days are devoted to booths where you can interact with famous YouTubers. I decided to go and brought my friend Preston, from the "Kiss Me I'm Irish" video, along with me. Playlist Live was a blast. I had the opportunity to network with other YouTubers and meet some fans.

On the first day of the conference, many people asked for my business card but I didn't bring any. I had to awkwardly tell them to write my information in their phone or email me instead. I needed to find a better way. My answer came from a guy wearing a top hat with a face card on it. 

I asked him if he had a deck of cards and decided to perform a magic trick for him. Magic is something I love to do on my free time. I once performed magic at my fifth grade talent show. It was simple tricks but they were fun. I hadn't performed magic tricks since then until a few months ago. I showed some of the tricks I knew to the man in the top hat and he loved them. Then it hit me: What if I perform magic tricks and then use them as business cards?

"There is power in kissing."

So there I was at Playlist Live performing tricks to people like GloZell, IJustineOverly Attached Girlfriend and many others. Every trick would end with me writing my name and YouTube channel on a card. It was an awesome experience! When I performed the trick for EleventhGorgeous, they kept telling me to do magic tricks on my channel but I wasn't sure how that related to my other videos. Then I thought of the old 'Kiss Card Trick' and decided to give it a shot.
The last kiss of the day. It was a good one.




I went to Brigham Young University campus (one of my favorite places to film) to try it out. I felt a lot more comfortable on this shoot because it wasn't a prank video. The participants knew they were on camera but the reactions were still genuine because it is the magic trick that surprises them not a camera. The video was shot over a three-day period because I had to make sure my viewers felt like they were part of the trick. I did not want them to feel like I was cheating them. In every shot I had to make sure the cards were always viewable and that the viewer never felt tricked. I didn't want to seem like I was doing camera manipulation. 

Decks of cards and sharpie thieves


A picture of my 'business card'
I performed the trick over 100 times. I probably kissed over 50 people, because some were couples and some didn't want to kiss me. One girl actually told me she had mono right before I went in for the kiss. I also spent $70.20 on decks of cards. The hardest part of the trick was chasing people down to get my sharpie back. I had four sharpies on me at all times just in case someone walked off with one. I want to thank my friends who helped me film. It is so hard to be in front of the camera and direct at the same time. Thankfully my friends were able to incorporate my vision into their filming and it turned out just like I wanted it to.

Never give up on your dreams. I never thought I would be performing magic tricks on a YouTube channel for all the world to see but here I am. You never know where you will end up or what you will end up doing. If you have a hobby that you stopped doing, pick it up again! Life is short. Carpe Diem, YOLO, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi...... you get the idea. Go out there and make a difference! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I want to hear from you. 

What is the coolest magic trick you have ever seen? What was your favorite reaction? What questions do you want to ask me? Feel free to leave them in the comments below.


Stuart Edge





Stuart Edge



3 comments :



  1. Fun Meets Facts
    FunChart
    Ideas to Kill Boredom

    Funny Lists, Pranks, and Ideas to Kill Boredom by FunChart. List of random things to do when bored, prank call ideas, hilarious images and articles. Site: http://www.funchart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a really useful blog about the magic and magic cards tricks I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    card tricks revealed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love it and amazing information about the Maju it's really good and great information well done.
    Maju

    ReplyDelete